Friday 24 November 2023

Stained glass: Session five

Session five was focused on cutting glass. I had to make sure that I had all my pieces cut and ready for session six as this was when the painting sessions would begin. 

I had already made some headway in cutting out the sections needed, and the only parts left to cut for the main image were slightly larger pieces of green and blue glass. This meant sorting through all the offcuts, out of which I managed to cut another five sections, and then I had to use glass from the workshop's stock, in order to finish the central section. 

Each piece of newly cut glass was put into its place on the cartoon and reattached by tape to its paper template. As each section was completed its number was ringed in red on the cartoon. 

I couldn't find a big enough piece of glass for shape 16, so I decided to re-draw the cartoon and make that section out of two pieces. 

Section 16 is now labelled 16 and 16B

In order to transfer the drawing onto the glass, I used the original template for three sides and a tracing from the cartoon for the side now making the join between the two. Finally once the glass sections were cut, I traced the new cut line from the cartoon onto the paper template and cut that out using the paper cutting sheers that take out a thin strip of paper to compensate for the leading. It might seem very pedantic all this attaching paper templates, numbering etc. but with so many pieces to put together for the final image, it is so easy to get lost. Also cut glass sections tend to look very similar, but they have to fit in exactly the right places, or the jig-saw of the window will never fit together properly. 

Earlier sections already cut are marked by red circles

Once all the central sections were cut, it was time to look at the border. I had some pink glass left over and as this was very expensive, decided to use this as part of the border. (It was also an aesthetic decision, as it brought colour from the centre out into the edges). I was then shown how to make sure all border sections were going to be the same width. 

Making sure the border is cut at a right angle. 

By using the first cut strip as a marker, you can align the wheel of the cutting tool up alongside the edge of the right angle, so that it is exactly positioned for a width that will be the same as the strip above. I managed at this point to break a couple of strips, because the pink glass is very thick and uneven. But I cut enough to get out what I needed. 

As pieces were cut they were placed on the cartoon. 

Section 72 was a continuation of the arm (82) and so broke the symmetry of the border 

The border would be too predictable if it was the same all the way round, and so by responding to the visual arc made by the arm coming in from the side, I could both give the border that needed shift to enliven the dynamics and at the same time anchor the arm idea into the edge of the design. I hope it works, but I shall have to see. A bit of a risk, but without risk you cant learn. 

The purple glass

Jo-Ann also had shown me some purple glass she had available. I had used some for the areas filling in around the leg and Sooty, so decided a little could also go into the border. I realised could use it to emphasise the slight off symmetry caused by my introducing section 72 into the design. I have yet to see it all together on the light-box, but I only have 4 border pieces to cut next week, (blues to sit between greens and pinks) and then I can check how it will all look. 

The state of the border at the end of the session. 

Homework for this week was to make studies for the painted sections, because the next few sessions focus on painting glass techniques. 

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment