Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Chaos magic

For many years I have made fetishes. physical objects made to be inhabited or empowered by a spiritual force capable of offering protection or healing. These objects sit in my practice alongside votives and I view them both as objects of magical power. They operate using what I think of as sympathetic magic; a type of magical thinking based on the belief that an object or action can affect a person or thing through resemblance or a symbolic connection given to something via an associated narrative. 

For instance sometimes I make fetishes in the form of body parts.However they are also like animals, in this way a body part can have more agency and it feels as if it can take independent action.


Ceramic body part fetishes

At other times fetishes take the form of an animal. They are given an energy associated with the way the receiver of the fetish thinks about the animal depicted. A dog may be hard working, fierce, loyal or just dogged. A monkey might be mischievous, thoughtless or just swinging in the trees, the important issue being that the nature of the fetish will depend on what belief the participant has about the animal.  


Ceramic animal fetishes

I am fascinated by objects being able to affect invisible action at a distance. But just as interesting to me as sympathetic magic, is the contagious effect; contagious magic being the anthropological belief that things once in contact continue to act on each other, meaning a person or object can pass qualities, power, or harm to another through a physical association. My fetishes and votives working in this case as objects of touch. My handling of clay for instance is frozen as finger imprints into each object, which is why they are not smoothed out. I can put all of my feelings into my making and hope that those feelings can be passed on to others. 

Loneliness votive

I have made several loneliness votives. We all need a hug a one time or another and that is essentially what they consist of, a form hugging itself. They are small, designed to be kept in a pocket or held in the hand in times of stress. Their surfaces are of polished wax over rough fired clay, so that more handling enhances the effect. I put a lot of care into the final finish, so that whoever is given one, or asks for one, can intuitively feel that I'm passing on something that has had care put into it. The hug becomes a hug for them. It is passed on, both by its symbolic representation and by the 'care in the hand'. 

Occasionally as I'm working I get hints that what I'm sort of doing is reinventing a type of 'chaos magic' or 'magick' as it is often spelt within the realms of those who operate in this area. It was Grant Morrison whose graphic novels 'The Invisibles' I used to read avidly, that introduced me to chaos magick. This is a more modern approach to magic, one that acknowledges the old traditions, but which takes a more 'postmodern' approach to how to apply magical effects. It is more an attitude to practice than a set of rules or a belief system. Chaos magic explores the techniques of magical action, rather than setting up a particular sets of symbols to believe in, however many of the techniques used involve participants in engaging with belief systems. There being no absolute truth, therefore a magic practitioner can theoretically do anything in order to achieve a result. However at its core is a belief in belief, a similar reasoning also underlying why my votive objects can affect both physical and mental change. 

One definition of chaos is, 'The formless and disordered state of matter before the creation of the cosmos.' The apparent order of things, a chaos magician might argue, is merely an arbitrary structure that we perceive. This formless state of matter, being a primal force from which is built magical energies. A chaos magician has the ability to change beliefs and thinking paradigms whenever a different approach is needed. I. e. they are accustomed to be able to look at and see their reality from different points of view. To the chaos magician, beliefs are choices, but belief is the tool that empowers the magic. I suppose it was this issue that drew me to exploring chaos magic as a system of thinking, as it allowed me to embrace a number of varying systems at the same time and to embed them all into my thought process. Hence my interest in outdated beliefs and para-scientific ideas such as Rayonism, Geometrical Psychology, etheric doubles, subtle bodies and similar ideas. 

At the centre of these belief systems is a concept of materialising thought, whether these thoughts are constructed as flat images or objects, what is interesting is that ideas that were in someone's head are now manifest as tangible things. Ceramic objects, because they are invested with clear memories of my hands at work, are often used by myself as fetishes and I have attempted many times to conjure up the associated energies that need to be embedded within fetish type objects. As you make them, you need to believe that you are investing them with some sort of energy or psychic force, something that is transmitted through the hand/eye/brain relationship and as you bring them into a public arena, you need to be able to communicate that concept to others. Which is why stories and narratives are often needed to bolster the visual affect of these objects. 

My fetish store

Ramsey Dukes in his essay on magic produced a diagram to explain how magic sat alongside art, science and religion as a way of explaining or controlling human behaviour. 


I shall in a future post use Ramsey Duke's as a guide as to how magic can be thought of as a way to explain how an art practice can be also in some ways magic too and I have a bit more to say about how an artwork as fetish might operate. 

See also:

Magic

Parascientific visions and Rayonism

Magic in art Slideshow

Benjamin Betts and Geometrical Psychology

Eye Music Includes link to 'Thought Forms' by Besant and Leadbeater

Freud and drawing invisible forces

The iconography of the invisible

The active cycle of breathing techniques A paper whereby I try to visualise the invisible sensations that pain and emotional trauma instil within us. A first step towards the construction of a form of ‘illusory enactment’.

No comments:

Post a Comment